PagerDuty + Allma Integration Benefits
- Bind PagerDuty events to a new Allma event workflow and Allma will acknowledge and silence bound alerts throughout the length of the events reducing noise and context switching.
- Allma will surface additional PagerDuty events within your incident channels and let you additionally bind the alert to an event.
/allma pageto override a service or users's existing escalation policy and page the right people directly into an ongoing Allma workflow channel.
How it Works
Create a new Allma workflow within Slack by running
/allma new, and you can bind any number of PagerDuty incidents directly to an Allma workflow. Allma will comment a note on all bound PagerDuty events to link which Slack channel the communication is occurring within.
PagerDuty integrations require an Admin role within Allma to setup the integration. If you do not have this role, contact an Allma admin or Slack admin within your company to adjust your permissions within Allma.
If you need help with this integration, contact email@example.com.
How do I enable the Allma // PagerDuty integration?
You can enable the PagerDuty integrations in our onboarding flow during install, or any time afterward by following these steps:
- Navigate to our Integrations Page by clicking the following icon on the sidebar:
- You should see our PagerDuty card, with a grey "disabled" toggle:
- By clicking on the toggle, you'll be redirected to PagerDuty to authorize Allma to access your account. You should see a screen a button for every PagerDuty account you're currently authenticated against, like so:
- Note: At this time, Allma can only be integrated with a single PagerDuty account, so select the one you intend to use to manage incidents with.
- Once selected, you'll be redirected to a subsequent screen in order to complete the authorization:
- Once authorized, you will be redirected back to Allma, where you should see that the Integration Card now displaying a green enabled status.
- If you want to verify that the integration is working from PagerDuty, navigate to any of your services and select Extensions. You should see a Generic V2 Webhook registered with the name Allma, like so:
How does the Allma // PagerDuty integration work?
Allma // PagerDuty integration enhances PD's paging functionality by bringing paging directly into Slack. This means you're now able to see all your alerts declare them as incidents, as well as page team members onto existing incidents. All from Slack.
When an alert for a PagerDuty service fires off, Allma receives a Webhook from PagerDuty, and responds by placing a note on the alert in their system. For example, an alert entitled "[#44] Example Problem" would advise like so:
- When you create an Allma Incident, any active acknowledged/unacknowledged PagerDuty alerts will be selectable to attach.
- Upon creation of the incident, all of those alerts will be automatically Acknowledged if they aren’t already and then Snoozed which keeps them silent until resolved or 7d elapses. This status will reflect anywhere that you have already integrated PD alerts.
- Upon resolving the Allma Incident, all of those alerts will automatically be Resolved in PagerDuty. This status will reflect anywhere that you have already integrated PagerDuty alerts.
- When updates are made to a PagerDuty alert that is connected to an Allma Incident, those changes are reflected in the Allma timeline (both in Slack and in our web app).
What can I customize with the Allma // PagerDuty integration?
- You can decide whether or not to show updates for any alerts bound to an incident in the incident channel.
- You can decide whether or not to display newly triggered alerts in the incident channel.
Can I see Allma Incidents in PagerDuty?
Yes, Allma will link to an Incident channel within Pagerduty so that team members can easily see where the action is happening.
Do my PagerDuty alerts show up in Allma's Incident channels?
Yes, PagerDuty alerts show up in Allma's Incident channels (although you can always customize this feature so they do not show up). Allma intercepts PagerDuty alerts and drops them into your active incident channel so you can quickly get context on your PagerDuty alerts and take ownership over related alerts and bind them to the incident.
How can I declare an Allma Incident straight from a PagerDuty alert?
When you see an incoming PagerDuty alert into slack, you can execute the slash command
/allma new from anywhere in your workspace. In the modal you will see an alerts dropdown where you will find all active PagerDuty alerts.